Being unable to stick to a healthy diet while away has been a common problem with majority of my clients. It is frustrating for all of us seeing our hard work being undone in a week or two.
Also, it is sad watching clients getting increasingly anxious to the point of dreading holidays and avoiding social occasions that could jeopardize their progress.
I started looking into various ways to help them, empower them with useful tips and keep daily communication through-out the holiday to offer support and minimize damage.
I will share some strategies I found useful along the way:
Keep in mind:
- some people simply don’t understand what it takes to successfully manage weight.
- it is not your job to please the host by eating food that causes you problems.
- it might not be easy to speak up but it’s worth it.
- don’t let fear or shame stop you from speaking up. You might be surprised at how many people would actually be supportive.
- keep reminding yourself why you are eating healthy and why is it important to you.
PREPARE FOR GOING AWAY:
- pack healthy snacks at hand that will protect you from temptations.
- do grocery shopping before you get to your destination.
- stock up on lean protein and vegetables.
- take water everywhere you go.
- start with a glass of water
- order a starter salad to avoid nibbling on bread
- ask for dressings and sauces on the side
- don’t eat the whole portion